Wednesday, December 29, 2021

 Hello everybody!

Well, I have decided to write a blog- mostly for accountability but to also introduce you into my world. I am 33, a mother of 1, a Registered Practical Nurse, Canadian and soon to be married (if COVID goes away that is). 

I am in debt, and this is going to be my journey on how I became debt-free, with tips, tricks, and my life in bits in pieces.

As you are all aware, we are in a global pandemic, which has caused financial ruin for some of you- myself included. 

I follow Dave Ramsey, Rachel Cruze, How to Money, Frugal Friends, Popcorn Finance, Her Money, YNAB (you need a budget)- the list goes on I believe, that is just from the top of my head. 

I made a lot of financial mistakes in my 20s, due to growing up in a household where there was not enough money to pay the bills. I remember my 16th Christmas present was money to go get my license, but we needed money for the heating bill. You might have guessed it, I gave the money back. I did eventually get my license, 3 years later. 

Looking back, it is easy to see why I made the decisions I did with my money. I got paid and I splurged, I treated myself. Why? Well because I did not have that security and the ability to do that growing up.

I went to school late in life because at 18 I had no clue what I wanted to do. It took years to figure it out. I wanted to go to school for nursing at 21, unfortunately, I had a significant other who did not believe in my dream as much as I did. Suffice to say, the relationship did not work out, but my dream got back burnered for crappy job to crappy job and crappy relationship to crappy relationship.

When I was 29, I met someone who would change the direction of my life. I found out I was pregnant!! That is when my path shifted completely. He died in a car accident in 2016, while I was pregnant. Yes, it was absolutely devestating- to this day the grief comes and goes. And I have nothing but gratitude for him because he gave me the best gifts of all. I have Remy (my 4 year old).

I went into nursing school when Remy was 1.5 years old, and also went into debt. I graduated with honours though. No easy feat but I had my wonderful fiancee to help me along the way. 

So now, 2 years after school I am sick of being in debt! This is not initially the life I had planned out, but I have learned 1 thing in life, plans never go according to plan- there is no such thing as perfect.

I want to get ruthless on this journey on slaying the debt dragon. So, here I am about to put my armour on and go slay this dragon.

Now that my fiancee has a stable job- he has been in and out of work since the pandemic, and living off my income was enough to pay bills but none for saving. I am ready. 2022 will be the year I meet this dragon and start swinging. 

First, the goal is to save $1,000. I want this goal accomplished by March 1, 2022. My next plan of attack is to save for my true expenses (Christmas, repairs- things that are going to happen, but who knows when). I plan to start this goal by moving my true expenses to automatic saving withdrawals from my account. I am starting 2022 on a 3 month spending freeze. 

Thank you for taking the time for my first ever blog post and I hope you will become an army while I tackle the debt dragon. 

Lots of love,

Mandee

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Month

 Hey all, I hope you had a wonderful February. Spring is just around the corner and I cannot wait. I started my spring cleaning because I ha...